Democrats visit CSU campus

Authors: Johnny Hart

With eight days left until the general election, four local Democratic candidates campaigned on the Plaza, pushing the importance of local races.

Congressional District Four Rep. hopeful Betsy Markey, Larimer County Commissioner for District 2 Randy Eubanks, District 3 County Commissioner hopeful Roger Hoffmann and State Rep. John Kafalas interacted with students to ensure they were voting in locals elections, encouraging the passer-bys to vote down the Democratic ticket.

“The local races have a more direct effect on people’s lives,” Hoffmann said. “The more people dig into the issues, the more they realize local issues are important.”

Kefalas said he enjoys being on campus and meeting students.

“I’m glad to be on campus. I like to interact with the students,” Kefalas said. “They’re very informed, which is encouraging.”

Kefalas, who lives in Old Town, said he walked his mail-in ballot to the courthouse to be recorded.

Because he has already voted, Kefalas said, “I wanted to make sure other people voted.”

Hoffman said when he was in college, he did not pay very much attention to local politics, but now his community involvement has changed his views.

“I voted in presidential races, but I didn’t know a lot about local races,” Hoffmann said.

He said if he’d have a chance to run for president, he’d turn it down because local issues are of real importance.

Joining on-stage the band Post Modern Concentrate, who agreed to provide their musical services to the event, Markey spoke to students just moments after she voted in the Lory Student Center’s North Ballroom.

Band member Devin Morse, a senior technical journalism major, said, “It was a good opportunity to play in front of people; plus we’re going for Obama.”

Assistant News Editor Johnny Hart can be reached at news@collegian.com.