Authors: Caitlin Solsky

Firefighters from the Poudre Fire Authority and officers from the CSU, Fort Collins and Loveland Police departments will face-off at tonight’s 3rd Annual Sam Spady Charity Hockey Game at Edora Pool and Ice Center to raise awareness about alcohol education.

Proceeds will benefit CSU RamRide via the Sam Spady Foundation, which is named for the 19-year-old CSU student who lost her life to alcohol poisoning September of 2004.

“It’s really fun to get into; people just love the atmosphere,” said Aaron Bain, a forward for the CSU hockey team. “It is a good support system for the Sam Spady Foundation and to raise awareness.”

Rams Hockey partnered with the foundation, along with CB & Potts and the Associated Students of CSU, to ensure the event’s success.

Along with the proceeds from the game, the team will be holding a silent auction at CB & Potts — auctioning off Eagles tickets, signed jerseys by the players, a signed Joe Sakic hockey stick and original art work by Sam Spady //– and the restaurant and bar will be donated 15 percent of Saturday’s profits to the foundation.

The goal for this year’s event is to double the $1,200 in proceeds received last year.

“We have so much man power behind us. The event feels much bigger then in the past,” said Ashley Morgenstern, head Intern and public relations major. ” You want the one nice thing you do a year to be the biggest thing you do in a year.”

Between periods contests will take place on ice, for instance sorority and fraternity musical chairs.

Although the event is for charity, there is a semi-competitive nature to the game.

“The policemen and firemen should be very competitive against each other, even though it is just a charity game neither team will want to lose,” Ben Smoot, a forward for the CSU hockey team, said in an e-mail interview.

“It’s a game where everyone wins,” Bain said.