Authors: Mattew Pucak

CSU doesn’t do “Midnight Madness” like many teams around the country, but Ram fans will get a chance to check out their basketball teams for the first time tonight during CSU’s “10 O’clock Rock.”

The free event will allow fans to see the newest incarnations of the Ram squads on the court at Moby Arena, as the players will showcase their skills in several events, including a dunk contest, a 3-point shooting contest, and scrimmages. Additionally fans will get in on the act, with a couple actually competing in a new 2-ball competition where they will be teamed with a CSU player.

New women’s basketball coach Kristin Holt hopes the event can raise the level of enthusiasm for CSU basketball.

“I think that it is an event that will get us and the fans excited about basketball because our games are right around the corner,” Holt said. “Our fan base is usually families with children, but we want to get more students interested.”

Second-year men’s basketball coach Tim Miles said the night is about the players.

“This is kind of a player’s night. It is a good chance for them to go out and interact with the fans in a little more of a low key environment and show off their skills, whether it be the 3-point contest or the dunk contest,” Miles said.

One of the highlights of the night will be the dunk contest, and when asked to pick some favorites, Miles mentioned last season’s winner Josh Simmons, along with two players who will be making their debuts for the Rams this season, Andy Odige and Harvey Perry.

Both CSU teams welcome an infusion of new players that they hope will change their fortunes, after both went winless in the Mountain West Conference regular season last year. The men welcome 10 newcomers, and the women’s team welcomes four players, three of whom come to CSU from Europe.

The season for both teams is rapidly approaching with the women starting off with Adams State on Oct. 31, while the men’s first tune-up comes on Nov. 3 against Chadron State.

Men’s basketball beat writer Matthew Pucak can be reached at sports@collegian.com.