Authors: Lucia Papureanu

In a continuous effort to advocate for the students and their active involvement on campus, the Associated Students of CSU applauds several entities of Greek Life for their commitment to philanthropy.

Acknowledging Greek Life’s overall mission to give back to the community while catering to the leadership development of its members, ASCSU would like to highlight a couple of past successes and future projects that make the CSU campus one of the most engaged campuses in the nation.

Zeta Tau Alpha devotes its hard work to breast cancer education and awareness and achieved success with last year’s “Think Pink Dessert Party,” raising over $2,400. Their second annual Think Pink Dessert Party, held Monday, Oct. 13, was also a success.

The ZTA sisters also volunteered at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Denver on Oct. 5, and while a number of the girls raced, some provided support and donations to the cancer survivors.

For Alpha Tau Omega, service is core as well.

Some of their community service projects coming up this fall are Positive Impact with 17 volunteers; Thanksgiving Baskets where, together with Lambda Theta Nu sorority, they will gather 30 Thanksgiving Baskets with canned corn, mashed potatoes and a hearty turkey to be distributed at a poverty agency; and Ram Ride with a contract of 72 shifts over this fall semester.

Last semester, ATO had over 700 hours with Ram Ride alone, and along with Chi Omega Sorority over the upcoming weekend of Oct. 24, every single shift will be picked up.

Through the Adopt-A-Park program, ATO is now the owner of Beattie Park on 500 W. Swallow Rd. in exchange for monthly park maintenance.

Another partnership with the women of the Delta Delta Delta is in the works for a BYU Game Cookout for Charity event Nov. 1 in order to raise money for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Center.

In the name of philanthropy, Pi Beta Phi sorority will host a barbecue called Pi Burger Fry at the Pi Phi house on Wednesday from 5 to 8 p.m. Burgers and a variety of side dishes and desserts will be served for the price of $5 per plate with all profit made from this event going toward First Book. First Book, Pi Beta Phi’s national philanthropy, is an organization that buys new books for children in poverty stricken families that cannot afford it.

An integral part of CSU for over 90 years, Greek Life prides itself in the establishment of 21 fraternities and 14 sororities and the diversity of more than 1,200 members, while also valuing the charitable work it performs for the community.

ASCSU is seeking to promote events of Greek Life and other student organizations that uphold community leadership and offer needed help in the community. Do not hesitate to use us as a resource in your philanthropic pursuits and contact us at ascsu_president@mail.colostate.edu for anything you might need assistance with.

We encourage all CSU students to engage and perform community service. Today is the time for us students to come together and commit ourselves to action!

Lucia Papureanu is a senior political science major and executive assistant for the president of ASCSU. ASCSU writes a column that appears occasionally in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.