Authors: Jessica Cline

The third annual “Dancing with the Geller Stars” fundraiser raised more than $700 Friday evening for the Geller Center for Spiritual Development, a CSU organization that provides a place for students to discover and express their spirituality.

The night’s highlight between local stars CSU director of El Centro Guadalupe Salzar, Medical Director of Hospice of Larimer County David Allen, Rep. John Kefalas from Colorado House District 52, and community member Shelly Kerr.

“(The event) was a blast, it was fun to get out and dance” said Kerr, who won the competition with her Argentine tango.

“At the Geller Center we try and promote diversity in the center and in the community so we set up a silly little program to show that to people,” Geller Center intern Bonnie Brown said.

The event opened with the silent auction which items included: sweatshirts, a coffee maker, gift baskets, gym memberships, pictures, pumpkins and a buffet dinner catered by the Sunset.

After dinner the CSU Swing Society gave a demonstration for everyone attending showing off their dancing skills and students from the Geller Center showed off their dancing skills in a skit representing the diversity they support at the center.

The event was also the first release for the center’s former Reverend and Director Robert Geller’s book “Red Ribbons.” Everyone that bought a ticket to the event received a free copy of the book and the chance to get it signed by Geller.

“When I started writing a book for my family people heard about it and asked me to write one for everyone else,” Geller said. “The title came from the book being about how I came in second all my life and how it’s not always a bad thing.”

The event concluded with open dancing for everyone and free dancing lessons from the CSU Swing Society with music by the Ed Manteufel Orchestra.

“I believe that deep listening requires a learners mind and a lovers heart and I believe that is what we are really about at the Geller Center,” Peggy Christiansen, director for the center, said.

The proceeds will benefit the center and its events, such as Food For Thought every Wednesday night, Meditation at Noon every Tuesday, progressive Christian student networks biblical studies and sessions, and various other events.

The Geller Center is a nonprofit organization that runs off of donations and the profit made from events like this fundraising event.

“The Geller Center is an organization that has been around for almost 50 years that has been providing resources and a safe space for students exploring their spiritual journey and money from this fundraiser will help to keep our ministry going,” Christiansen said.