Authors: Brian Anthony

heers and whistles spilled out from the Colorado High School Press Association’s award ceremony for high school journalists into the upper level of the Lory Student Center as the largest crowd in CSU Journalism Day’s recent history descended on campus Thursday.

The record-setting crowd of approximately 1,440 high school news advisors and students gathered on campus to expand their knowledge of journalism, to attend guest speakers and seminars, and to collect various awards for newspaper and yearbook excellence.

Clarissa Crozier, the executive director of CHSPA, said, “It turned out really well. It was our busiest year yet.”

Mary Kay Downes, one of three keynote speakers, said she was very impressed with the event.

“I come from Virginia, and we don’t have a big event like this,” Downes said. “This is a massive event.”

Downes, who is the president of the Columbia Scholastic Press Advisers’ Association, said these events are important and plans to attend to other CSPAA-sponsored conferences.

“Going to these conventions is important. At your school you think you’re alone and then you get here and see all these people,” Downes said.

Courtney Bellio, a high school senior from Rocky Mountain High School in Fort Collins, said that the event was “really exciting.”

“The whole awards ceremony was really fun,” Bellio said.

School pride was demonstrated vigorously both at the yearbook awards ceremony, in the North Ballroom, and the newspaper awards ceremony, in the Main Ballroom.

Every time a school was called, cheering and applause erupted.

Allie Shead, a junior journalism major, volunteered for the event.

“It was fun. (It was) quite the experience,” Shead said. “It was a lot of work, but it was well worth it.”

Shead said that if she was able to volunteer next year she would.

Staff Writer Brian Anthony can be reached at news@collegian.com