Authors: Jessica Cline

Personalities from the CSU and Fort Collins community will participate in an evening of dance tonight to support the Geller Center for Spiritual Development at its third annual fall fundraising gala, themed “Dancing with Geller Stars.”

In a spoof of the TV series “Dancing with the Stars,” the stars competing at the headlining dance contest include Guadalupe Salazar, the director of El Centro Student Services; David Allen, the medical director of the Hospice of Larimer County; and Rep. John Kefalas from Colorado House District 52.

“I agreed to dance because this was a way I was able to help support the Center and to have fun doing something that I enjoy,” Salazar said.

The event will benefit the Geller Center, which has provided “programs and a space for students and the wider CSU and Fort Collins community to deepen their spiritual development over the past 50 years, according to the organizations Web site.

“A lot of people do not know about the Geller Center, but it is a really neat way for students to explore their spirituality in a friendly, nonjudgmental environment,” said Peggy Christiansen, the director for the UCA.

The night of dance will take place at 5:30 p.m. at the Sunset Event Center, located at 242 Linden Street in Old Town.

Before the dance contest there will be a buffet-style dinner catered by the Sunset, a swing dance performance by the CSU Swing Society, a presentation by Geller students demonstrating the diversity of the Geller Center, and a short speech by Christiansen.

“At the Geller Center, we try and promote diversity in the Center and in the community, so the skit we planned is a dance skit because of the theme, and students will be doing all sorts of different, fun little skits and dances to really show the diversity we try to accomplish,” said Bonnie Brown, a junior liberal arts major and an intern for the UCA.

The stars were picked to dance at the event because they are people who support the work done at the Geller Center and are willing to have fun, according to Christiansen.

“They will each be doing a different style of dance so that there will be a variety,” Christiansen said. “John and his wife will be doing a Greek style dance, Guadalupe and her partner will be doing the Meringue, and Dr. Allen and his partner will be doing a disco.”

There will also be a silent auction and a cash bar, and the night will conclude with open dancing to music provided by the Ed Manteufel Foothills Orchestra, a 10-piece big band orchestra.

In addition, Rev. Bob Geller, the former director and reverend for the Geller Center, will be releasing his new book, “Red Ribbons.”

“We are looking forward to a lot of fun at the event because it is a celebration that people look forward,” Christiansen said.

The event is open to everyone. Pricing for the event is $10 for student tickets, $35 for an individual and $60 for a couple. For tickets, call the Geller Center at 970-482-8487. More information on the Geller Center can be found at http://lamar.colostate.edu/~ucm.

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.