Authors: kelly bleck

An inspiring story about a woman suddenly laid off from her job and following her dream of studying at the world famous Le Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris, “The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry” follows author Kathleen Flinn’s trials and tribulations.

Flinn recalls her studious adventures through Paris, through love and along all levels of Le Cordon Bleu.

Complete with a recipe at the end of each chapter and a few more thrown in the back, Flinn examines the patience and determination it took to actually follow her dream.

When Flinn was unexpectedly, but happily, laid off from her job, she finds solace in her new boyfriend, Matt. Matt entices her to follow her long-lost dream of graduating from Le Cordon Bleu, which she does with much angst and all of her savings account.

Flinn describes the Beginning Cuisine course as the weeding out process, the time when those who are serious about cooking, or those who merely follow it as a hobby, are put to the test. Her individual growth process shows readers how she overcame obstacles, and ultimately gains knowledge and comes to respect others around her.

The descriptions of her first arrival in Paris, her search for an apartment and the initiation into the world-famous cooking school drive the reader to agonize alongside Flinn. Through her non-fiction descriptions she is able to show her readers the unexpected trials that new students are put through as well as the shock of those who are not accustomed to the food industry.

Each dish is meticulously prepared; unbeknownst to some, Flinn reveals that cooking truly is an art form.

Flinn’s journey through Beginning Cuisine, to Intermediate, to the Ultimate Superior Cuisine, is filled with new techniques and life lessons. In the midst of it all, Flinn explores her relationship with Matt.

The integration of love and cooking reflects Flinn’s personal following of life. She intertwines the mantra “The sharper your knife, the less you cry,” as a piece of chef’s seemingly trivial advice that ultimately leads to the rest of her life decisions.

Though the book focuses mainly on her culinary education, the relationships and cultural impacts she finds along the way enhance the lessons Flinn learns within Le Cordon Bleu.

Flinn guides readers along her journey and introduces them to a host of information, and characters, all of which impacted her life greatly.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.