Authors: Brian Anthony

The Lory Student Center may be a little louder than usual today, as 76 high schools from across Colorado converge for the Colorado High School Press Association’s eighth annual Journalism Day.

The conference is from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and will be featured along with an awards ceremony and pre-scheduled critiques of written pieces.

Kim Blumhardt, the Collegian’s advertising manager helped coordinate the event and said that “an adviser either teaches or advises one of the high school publications; typically either newspapers, yearbooks or video media.”

“Last year was a record breaker,” said Clarissa Crozier, the executive director of the Colorado High School Press Association. “We had 1,299 students and 97 adults.”

Having three speakers, she said, was definitely a must.

“Usually we try to bring in one keynote speaker and build around that,” she said.

Tim Harrower, one of the three keynote speakers, is an award-winning newspaper editor, designer and columnist at newspapers.

Currently, he is working on an online journalism book.

Crozier said that Harrower’s presence probably helped encourage more schools to fund the trip despite the increase in gas prices since last year.

“Tim Harrower is a noted journalist when it comes to design,” Crozier said. “He teaches nationally and recently came out with a textbook on newswriting that is very graphically appealing.”

Mary Kay Downes, the second speaker, is the current president of the Columbia Scholastic Press Advisers’ Association, which, according to its Web site, “unites student editors and faculty advisers with them to produce student newspapers, magazines, yearbooks and online media.”

Third, Jake Palenske, is a graduate of Kansas State University and is president of NCompass Media. He frequently participates in various journalism workshops.

Staff writer Brian Anthony can be reached at news@collegian.com.