Authors: Matthew Pucak

The Ram volleyball team admitted they came out a little flat in their last match against Northern Colorado, but they don’t expect that same problem tonight.

The Rams are back home again at Moby Arena, where they have won 23 straight matches, to take on Texas Christian (14-4, 3-2 MWC) at 7 p.m. tonight.

The Frogs are coming off an impressive sweep of then No. 21 Brigham Young, a fact that CSU head coach Tom Hilbert has made sure his team understands and respects.

“They know about TCU. We have let them know, and we will remind them,” said Hilbert, who also said he has reminded his team that Sunday’s opponent, New Mexico, also dropped BYU.

The Rams know how well the Frogs are personally, as CSU lost to TCU in their final regular season match last season.

“They are talented and they return a lot of players from last year. I know their team from last year, but I feel like TCU, and when we play against any of our conference teams, we have to be ready to go and give our best,” Hilbert said.

The game represents a return to Mountain West Conference play for CSU (14-1, 4-0 MWC) after two non-conference wins, the last in front of a tough crowd at UNC. Though the Rams know that getting road victories is important, they still enjoy the feel of playing in front of the “Moby Maniacs” much more.

“I think it is more fun at Moby. It is better when people are supporting you, but I think that having a crowd against you makes you focus better,” said CSU outside hitter Jamie Struass, who leads the Rams with 186 kills this season.

The match will feature the top two hitting percentage teams in the Mountain West, as the Rams are currently hitting .252 and the Frogs are hitting .244.

The Frogs feature a very balanced attack, as four players come into the match with more than 100 kills, led by junior Lauren Otto with 183 kills.

In addition to their home winning streak, CSU is also on a 12-match overall win streak, and they are existed about extending both streaks.

“It is definitely nice to be playing so well. It is something we pride ourselves on that we want to win every match and go out there with the intent to play hard,” Strauss said.

Green and Gold and Pink

CSU has also announced that tonight’s game will be “Dig Pink Night,” as the Rams raise money for the local non-profit organization Hope Lives.

The Rams will be wearing pink ribbons for the month of October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and fans at the game tonight will have the chance to donate $1 for every dig the CSU volleyball team records.

The Rams are currently averaging 13.3 digs per game.

Volleyball beat writer Matthew Pucak can be reached at sports@collegian.com.