Kinetix to play at Aggie

Authors: Rachel Survil

Five University of Denver music majors with five different musical influences — spanning punk rock, old school hip hop, techno, funk and jazz — have found a way to blend them together and create something they can call their own. The band is Kinetix; the sound is a high-energy blend of rock, funk and pop, said Josh Gargan, the band’s drummer.

With five men coming from five very different musical influences, the group had to work to blend their tastes in punk rock, funk, jazz, hip hop and techno, to name a few.

“We’ve all studied music and are able to adapt our own influences and incorporate it into a common idea we all want to go for,” Gargan said.

Kinetix will play at the Aggie Theater Wednesday, Oct. 8, at 10 p.m. Tickets are $5 for 18 to 20-year-olds, and free for those 21 and up.

The five-member band formed a little over four years ago when its members met at the Lamont School of Music at DU. The group played ensembles and combos together and, from there, began writing its own music.

Their popularity grew as they played venues ranging from Denver bars to house parties and then to touring college campuses nationwide. The group attributes its initial success to supporters of local and college music scenes.

“We got a ton of support from the DU community,” Gargan said. “There are just so many open-minded people in Colorado, and people down to listen to local music.”

The group has released two albums and toured with the likes of Umphrey’s McGee, Flobots and Rose Hill Drive. Their latest album, “Talking to Faces,” was released in July of 2007, but a new one will be in the works after the group finishes touring this month.

“We really want to take some time sitting with it and living with it . so all five of us can be like, ‘that’s awesome, that’s exactly what we should have done,'” Gargan said.

Staff writer Rachel Survil can be reached at verve@collegian.com.