Authors: kelly bleck

With the opening of the University Center for the Arts comes the Diavolo Dance Theatre, a contemporary dance group composed of dancers, gymnasts and actors.

The Diavolo Dance Theatre, along with artistic director and Diavolo founder Jacques Heim, will be holding MasterClasses for CSU students and community members. The classes will run tonight through Oct. 16 from 3 to 4 p.m. in the new University Dance Theatre at the UCA.

The classes will demonstrate the use of everyday objects, such as doors and chairs, to create “narratives of the human condition,” according to the School of Arts Web site.

“The classes will give students the chance to work with professionals,” said Jennifer Clary, marketing and publicity director for the CSU School of Arts. “The students who attend the classes will not just observe, they’ll get the chance to participate because they will be able to dance.”

The dance theatre consists of 10 members, one of whom is a CSU alumnus, Erica Juergens-Bow. Juergens-Bow became involved in Diavolo when she saw a performance and was encouraged by her professors, Clary said.

“Seeing Erica with the group performing with professionals will really be positive for students,” Clary said. “They’ll be able to hear how she accomplished, what she has and how she got to the position she did.”

Culminating with two performances on Oct. 17 and 18 at 8 p.m., Diavolo Dance Theatre will be the grand opening event at the University Dance Theatre. Tickets are $17 for the public and $10 for students and can be purchased at the campus box office, by phone at (970) 491-4849 or online at www.csutix.com. For more information and ticket prices visit www.CSUschoolofthearts.com.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.