Diversity center hits stage

Authors: Alison Kent

Issues of diversity, discrimination, stereotypes and racial relations will be presented to students Wednesday through theater with “Faces of America,” a live production in which one woman will perform seven roles to represent characters of diverse populations.

El Centro Student Services and Campus Activities collaborated to bring the production to CSU for campus diversity awareness and National Hispanic Heritage Month. The free event is scheduled at the Lory Student Center Theatre from 7-9 p.m.

The national tour has reached universities across the nation to provide a “blend of entertainment and education when addressing issues of diversity,” according to the Web site for Will & Company, the Los Angeles, Calif.-based not-for-profit theatre company that manages the production.

The multi-cultural performance is told through the perspective of seven different characters that have different ethnic backgrounds. The content is based on interviews and workshops about diversity held throughout the country.

“It was a wonderful opportunity for National Hispanic Heritage Month,” said Guadalupe Salazar, the director for El Centro Student Services.

Salazar said the portrayal of the diverse characters will provide a well-rounded perspective to diversity issues.

“It’s important to provide an inclusive environment to students that goes beyond racism,” she said.

The performance will feature the following characters:

A Japanese-Hungarian, whose story unfolds as she begins to understand her own heritage through her grandfather’s life of immigration and captivity in Japanese American war camps.

A young Latino who faces stereotypes as a result of growing up in the “barrio,” an impoverished neighborhood.

A young Indian-American woman and hate-crime victim whose dream is to live in class-free society.

An African-American male who discusses the relationship of racism and socio-economics.

A young Caucasian male who rebels against his father and the idea that racism is the “white” disease.

A Filipino-American doctor who learns of the coexistence and impact of patience and religious faith.

A lesbian American portrayed through her revolutionary ideas.

Events for National Hispanic Heritage Month will run through Oct. 15. For more information on “Faces of America,” contact Guadalupe Salazar in El Centro Student services at guadalupe.salazar@colostate.edu or Ria Vigil at lsc_ca_grad@mail.colostate.edu.

Staff writer Alison Kent can be reached at news@collegian.com.