Authors: Shayna Grajo

“It’s like the first light in the morning: It reminds me of when the sun comes up, and you see it hit our foothills.”

J. Steven Moore, the conductor to the CSU Wind Ensemble, spoke on his views of the contemporary symphonic composition “First Light,” which the Wind Ensemble is to perform Tuesday.

“You get purples and silvers and golds, and it’s a really beautiful time — right when those first rays of light hit our foothills — and it’s fantastic,” Moore said. “It’s the prettiest 10 minutes of the day.”

Presenting “Hear the Light,” a program based on the theme of lighting contrasts, the Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band will perform tonight at 7:30 p.m. for the first time this semester in Griffin Concert Hall at the University Center for the Arts.

To elicit the theme of light, the program and set design will feature diverse lighting elements to correspond visually with the music.

Moore, who decided on the theme, consulted two professional lighting designers to prepare the set for lights and colors to change with the music’s interpretation. In addition, miniature lights will be placed at the stand of every performer.

“They’ll go on each stand light so that the stage is not a washed-in light,” Moore said. “That way we can do the lighting design, and you’ll be able to see it.”

When Moore was planning for this fall’s program, he said, he chose a theme of light because he noticed several of the pieces he considered had light connotations, which he wanted to emphasize.

The Wind Ensemble will open the concert with “Straylight,” an original composition by James David, the latest composition and music theory faculty member to join the Music department.

The majority of the lighting changes, Moore said, will take place during the Wind Ensemble’s performance, which will also include the pieces “Shadow Rituals,” “Fire Works” and “Sound Prisms.” In his first year to conduct the Symphonic Band, Miller Asbill will lead the close to the concert.

Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for the public. They can be purchased at Griffin Hall or at 970-491-4849.

News Editor Shayna Grajo can be reached at news@collegian.com.