Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU men’s golf team won their second tournament of the year Sunday afternoon in the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate in Palm Desert, Calif.

The Rams finished seven shots ahead of Idaho with a combined one under par in the final round.

“I thought we played really well,” said head coach Jamie Bermel. “The weather conditions were tough with the winds blowing 20 miles per hour the first day.”

The top five finishers in the tournament were: CSU shooting 13 over par and 877; Idaho shooting 20 over par and 884; Oregon State shooting 29 over par and 893; Denver shooting 30 over par and 894; and Washington State shooting 32 over par and 896.

Dustin Morris had another great tournament with a combined one over par performance and finishing in a three way tie for fourth place with Jarred Bossio of Idaho and Kory Harrell of Northern Colorado.

Morris shot seven over par in the first round, bounced back in the second round to shoot one under par, and then finished the final round shooting five under.

Bryce Hanstad helped his team out in the first round by finishing an even par in the windy conditions, but proceeded to struggle shooting three over in the second round and eight over par in the final round.

The freshman Zahkai Brown finished eighth in his first tournament with CSU and tied his older brother and teammate Zen Brown, with a total of four over par for the tournament.

Zahkai Brown shot four over par in the first round, one under par in the second, and one over par in the final round.

Coach Bermel felt putting was the strongest performance by his team with the 20 mile per hour winds in the first two rounds.

“We had to settle for a few three puts, but I thought all in all our putting was very strong,” Bermel said.

Next up for the Rams will be the Del Walker Intercollegiate in Long Beach, Calif. on Oct. 16, where the Rams took first a year ago and look to do the same next Friday.

“We won at Long Beach last year, and we’re playing on the same course, so I think the guys are going in pretty confident,” Bermel said.

Sports writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.