Authors: Justin Warren

The No. 28 CSU men’s golf team will tee off at 8 a.m. Saturday morning in Palm Desert, Calif., where they will compete in the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate.

The Rams will compete against 18 teams this weekend, including Denver, Oregon State, Weber State, Washington State, Utah and tournament host Wyoming.

The Rams will play the first two rounds back-to-back on Saturday and conclude the final 18 holes Sunday afternoon on the 7,305-yard par 72 course.

The CSU team will consist of Zen Brown, Bryce Hanstad, Dustin Morris, Riley Arp, Zahkai Brown and Justin Spray.

“In the first tournaments we have had three different guys step it up,” said head coach Jamie Bermel. “You never know who will have an outstanding game and contribute to a good finish for the team.”

The five players in the starting lineup are all ranked in the top ten in the Mountain West Conference for stroke average.

Hanstad and Morris are ranked second and third, respectively, with Arp right behind them in fourth. All of them are shooting an average under 71 so far this season.

The Rams have finished in the top five in four of their last five outings and look to do the same in California.

“The expectation is to play solid golf and finish the tournament with another top five,” said coach Bermel.

The Rams are also the only team competing who are ranked in Golfweek magazine’s top 50, which should give them some motivation for the tournament.

Men’s golf beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.