It’s official — more money is being spent at CSU on administration than is being spent on all the academic colleges combined.

Currently, the budgets of the president and the provost top out at about $130.1 million — a 62 percent increase since Penley’s arrival in 2003. And that’s just the budget summary for the president and VPs.

During the same time period, CSU has seen only a 32 percent increase in funds for the academic colleges and the Library, hitting $143.5 million this year.

All the while state funds have increased slowly while students have seen painful tuition and fee increases to the tune of 52 and 73 percent respectively, which begs the question: What exactly are we paying for?

According to Tony Frank, provost and senior executive vice president, the flow of tuition and state money into administration benefits students by providing services like electronic registration through RamWeb, financial aid for poor students and more police (like Fort Collins could possibly hold any more police officers).

Now, while many of these programs are essential, instruction should take precedence. But sadly, this has not been the case.

Following 2001, the university saw a substantial dip in the number of tenure and tenure-track faculty and, conversely, an increase in the number of adjunct faculty and graduate students leading classrooms, until Penley’s announcement this year in his “State of the University” address of the addition 90 new tenure-track faculty positions.

This is a step in the right direction, but it’s clear that more resources need to be devoted to improving our academic colleges. Penley and Co. ought to consider this before inflating their budgets any further.