Authors: Cece Wildeman

The first of four CSU theater productions of “The Distance from Here” slated for the 2008-2009 school year will show tonight through Saturday at 8 p.m. in the UCA theatre, with a matinee on Sunday at 2 p.m.

The main characters, Tim and Darell, are American teenagers living in white suburbia in the Northwest. When Darell questions his girlfriend about being faithful, Tim takes her side and all three head for disaster, according to the CSU theatre department Web site.

The plot focuses on some tough subjects, said Jennifer Clary, director of marketing and publicity for the School of the Arts.

The production will focus on issues such as the effects on children of irresponsible parenting and the presence of teen violence and alcoholism in white suburbia.

“I think this is one of the more daring productions from a content standpoint that we’ve done at CSU,” she said.

She said it is daring because the playwright does not shy away from using harsh language, language that is true to the characters.

Because of the raw language used, as well as the themes of the production, younger audience members are prohibited.

Examining these issues may lead people to walk away wondering, “How can I make a difference?” Clary said.

Entertainment Editor Cece Wildeman can be reached at verve@collegian.com.