Authors: Jessica Cline

Following a week of grunts, sweat and laughter, the inaugural weeklong CSU Fraternity Decathlon champion Sigma Phi Epsilon was pronounced Sunday.

Winning the most points among 10 different competitions, including the Sunday events of a Marine challenge, 100-meter sprint and one-mile run, Sigma Phi Epsilon will split the $1,000 in proceeds into two $500 donations to both the national Youth AIDS organization and a second charity.

The second charity will be selected by the sorority that attended the most decathlon events, but the winning sorority will not be announced until next week, Greek organizers said.

The decathlon was held among 13 fraternities at CSU. The range of competitions included tug of war, a wing eating competition and a Halo tournament.

“I thought the decathlon went very well. It was a trial, so there were a few minor bumps, but overall it was a great experience that really brought the houses together,” said Michael Oettinger, president of Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Oettinger said that Sigma Phi Epsilon was already a very tight house to begin with, but that the brothers had lots of fun cheering and supporting fellow housemates.

There were few events that Sigma did not place within the top three, and they led throughout most of the decathlon.

The culminating events Sunday included a Marine challenge run by the Marine Corps of CSU. The contest entailed the maximum amount of pushups, sit ups and pull ups contestants could perform in two minutes.

“We chose to use these challenges because they are part of the Marine and Army physical fitness tests, and they are how we grade ourselves,” 2nd Lt. Mitch Bruce said.

Following the one-mile run, the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity was announced the decathlon winner, earning a total of 11,700 points. Phi Kappa Phi brought up second place with 10,700 points, and Delta Tau Delta claimed third with 9,300 points.

Sigma Phi Epsilon won a 4-foot-high trophy that they will keep at the fraternity house until the next decathlon, when the trophy will be passed on to the next winner.

“The Interfraternity Council is confident and hopeful that the decathlon will become an annual event,” said Bijah Gibson, vice president of public relations for the Interfraternity Council.

“I have a feeling that as times change, some of the events will change, like the Halo tournament, but the more traditional athletic decathlon events will stay the same.”

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.