Authors: Justin Warren

The men’s golf team will get their second tournament of the year underway Saturday at the U-M Golf Course in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Rams will compete in the Wolverine Invitational against 16 other teams throughout the nation.

Leading the way for CSU will be Bryce Hanstad who shot 11 under par in the last tournament two weeks ago in Colorado Springs, helping his team get the victory.

“I expect Bryce to continue to play well,” said head coach Jamie Bermel. “He is playing with a lot of confidence right now, and I know it will carry over to this weekend.”

The other four players will be Justin Spray, Riley Arp, Zen Brown and Dustin Morris.

“To win this tournament, we need the same consistency that all five players showed last tournament. They have to play smart and not make any silly or unforced errors,” said coach Bermel.

Michigan currently holds the record at the course with a 54-hole, 839 shot total in the 2005 Wolverine Invitational tournament.

The first and second rounds will begin Saturday at 8:30 a.m. with CSU paired with Michigan State and Missouri.

“I think it will be a good pairing. I would assume both teams will be playing well, but Michigan State will be better because several of their guys have played the course before,” said coach Bermel.

In spite of the tough competition and course, the Rams feel like they have a shot to do well this weekend.

“One under par won the tournament two years ago. The roughs will be up, the greens will be fast, making playing difficult,” said coach Bermel.

Sports writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.