Authors: Chelsea Cushing

CSU hosted 278 employers and 17 graduate and professional schools, which was the largest career fair the university has ever held, this week in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom.

Hundreds of CSU students and graduates gathered in hopes of finding internships and post-college job opportunities at the annual fair.

According to the Bureau of Labor statistics, Colorado unemployment has increased from 3.8 percent to 5.6 percent in the past year, but university officials said the fair would offer a chance to fix that partially.

“This is a great opportunity to come meet employers,” said Ann Malen, director of the Career Center. “You will never have another occasion in your life when employers come to you.”

The Career Fair is offered to CSU students and graduates of all majors and offers a broad range of career options to explore.

Each day, the event focused on different fields, including science, health, communications, marketing, technology, engineering, environment, social services and finance.

These different fields integrated various companies large and small, such as Wells Fargo Financial, Wal-Mart Stores, DISH Network and Liberty Mutual. Leslie Goldschmidt, a representative with Wolseley, a plumbing and heating supplies company, said that the Career Fair is very important to college students and graduates.

“It is the only chance for a student to meet so many different kinds of employers, especially students who do not know what they want to do after college,” Goldschmidt said.

Many students at the career fair said they had an easy time finding a job to maintain during college, but they also said the career fair is the best place to find a post-graduation employer.

“I love the Career Fair,” said Travis Roesner, a senior business major who has attended the event for the past three years.

“Having face-to-face contact with different companies helps build connections. It’s a great taste of the professional world.”

Although a large majority of students at the event were upperclassmen, the Career Fair is also an opportunity for underclassmen to begin researching different employers and search for summer internships.

“People just don’t know where to look for jobs and internships, and this is definitely the easiest way to get them,” said Heidi Park, a sophomore business major, who hopes to find an internship for the upcoming summer.

While many students who attend the Career Fair have a good idea of what kind of job they are looking for, the event provides a chance for undeclared majors and unsure students to make connections with companies and explore different career paths.

“Most people have a limited knowledge of what we can do. Employers hire for skills, and if you do the research you can investigate different career opportunities,” Malen said.

“The Career Fair is the best place to make connections your freshman year, then build a network of employer options.”

Staff writer Chelsea Cushing can be reached at news@collegian.com.