Sports news and notes

Authors: Justin Warren

Men’s Golf

Sept. 20 and 21 the men’s golf team heads to Ann Arbor, Mich., to play in the Wolverine International. The Rams will face off against Michigan, Michigan State, California, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin, among others.

“If we can keep the same consistency we had in the last tournament, we will have a good weekend,” said head coach Jamie Bermel. “Michigan and Michigan State will be tough because we are playing on their home course.”

Women’s Golf

Thursday the women’s golf team heads to Albuquerque, N.M., to face off against 16 teams in The 2008 Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational. Among the teams the Rams will be facing are Texas, Colorado and all of the Mountain West Conference teams.

“This will be a huge tournament for us because of the talent that is playing and we need to out play all of the other teams in our conference,” said head coach Angie Hopkins. “We have a good advantage because four of our girls have played at this course before.”

Tennis

Last Saturday afternoon the Rams tennis team concluded their first tournament of the year with a strong finish in the Wyoming Invitational in Laramie, Wyo. The team posted first place finishes in four out of five flights with victories in both Gold and Brown doubles and Gold and Brown singles.

“This is absolutely outstanding for our team and it is just a reflection of how hard we have worked this year,” said head coach Jon Messick.