Authors: Caleb Thornton

I will be the first to admit it — I’m a conservative.

Some people might call me a far-right religious wacko, others who really are far-right wackos might call me a moderate. I like to think I live somewhere in the middle.

Now, there are other students and faculty like me here at CSU who share the same viewpoint as I do when they take a hard look at the world. I also know that there are plenty of students and faculty who would probably take exception to any political statement I made. However, I additionally know that there are students at CSU who would consider themselves independent — not entirely conservative, but not entirely liberal either.

It is pretty safe to say at this point, with less than two months remaining until Election Day, that partisans, like myself, have made up their mind on whom they will vote for.

However, there are other students out there who are undecided, or could at the least still be swayed before the election, to vote one way or another. If that is you and you have made it this far through my article without turning the page to Sudoku or RamTalk, then please bear with me for just a while longer – I have a couple of things that I would like for you to hear.

First, you certainly have heard over and over again from different campaigns that this election comes at a, “pivotal juncture and defining moment” — or something of that sort — in our nation’s history, and in a way, I suppose that is true. Every election in this country is important because in every election so much is at stake.

Foreign policy, tax laws, education, social-security, gun issues, religion and the state, energy — all these issues will be shaped, worked with and redefined pending on how the election falls.

We, as students, cannot afford to not have a say in such important issues that face our country, but right now that is exactly what is happening. Politicians don’t look to win votes from our age demographic, and for good reason — we don’t vote.

So if there is one message that I could get across to everyone — liberals, conservatives, and independents alike – it is register to vote!

If you don’t register, then you can’t vote and any political discussion after that is a moot point. There are plenty of volunteers scouring and practically begging for you to do it. So take five minutes out of your day, and I guarantee that you will make that volunteer’s day. I know — I’ve been one.

The second message is that no matter how sick you get of hearing about Obama not being ready to lead, or about McCain being more of the same, or even of hearing about big-oil Bob, once election day gets here suck it up for just a few more minutes, find your polling station and boldly go where students rarely have gone before — to the voting booth.

I don’t care if you vote for Obama, McCain or write in Steven Colbert – at least you have made your presence as a student known.

However, there is no hiding how I would like for you to vote, and that is what I plan on addressing in upcoming articles.

Every week up to Election Day, I will tackle issue by issue why you – an undecided student at Colorado State University — can vote for a conservative in the upcoming election and feel confident in that vote.

I don’t expect you to take my word for it, so when you question what I have to say please research it yourself, I’m confident that when you do, you’re going to see it my way.

First issue up next week — foreign policy.

Caleb Thornton is a senior political science major. His column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.