Authors: Tyler Okland

In his annual fall address today, CSU President Larry Penley will highlight record-breaking fundraising efforts and the university’s new “green university” campaign.

His speech, titled “The Next Five Years,” will focus on CSU’s unprecedented fundraising increase of 51 percent this year to $79.5 million and will outline record research expenditures, which are a result of renewable energy and biomedical research.

At today’s 2008 Annual Fall Address, Penley will discuss the university’s projected expenditures and fundraisers and announce the additions of the School of Global Environmental Sustainability and CSU Global Campus.

The speech, scheduled from 11:30 a.m. to noon in the Oval, will follow a performance by the CSU Marching Band. The annual event will also feature live entertainment and an eco-friendly all-university picnic.

The speech will cover announcements of both the School of Global Environmental Sustainability, dedicated to environmental research across multiple disciplines, and the CSU Global Campus, a Web portal that allows long-distance access to a variety of college degrees through online courses.

For the second year in a row, the all-university picnic, which follows the speech, will offer biodegradable plates and utensils in the spirit of environmental sustainability awareness. Provided materials will be recyclable or compostable to encourage a low-waste event.

Throughout the picnic, entertainment will include the Resonant RAMblings, an a capella group, and The Rock, a local acoustic band. The event is free of charge and open to the CSU and Fort Collins community.

Staff writer Tyler Okland can be reached at news@collegian.com.