Authors: Matt L. Stephens

Saturday marks the 27th annual Ag Day, a day celebrating the deep agricultural roots in both the state of Colorado and CSU. An event to remember part of the university’s past will precede what fans hope to be the jump start to the future of CSU football as the Rams take the field to face Sacramento State in this season’s home opener.

CSU Head Coach Steve Fairchild said he thinks opening with Ag Day will help bring excitement to Ram football this season.

“I think that [Ag Day] and the fact that it’s our first home game will really help,” Fairchild said after practice Thursday. “Our players and coaches are ready. We gotta protect our stadium and make it a tough place to come play.”

A member of the coaching staff who seems to really be looking forward to Ag Day is first-year offensive coordinator, Greg Peterson.

“For an old farm boy, Ag Day is great,” said the Nebraska native. “We’re excited to come play in Hughes Stadium, and I know we had a great contingency in Denver last Sunday. It means something special when you come home and play. We talk to our players all the time and tell them, ‘that’s our home, that’s our turf, and we gotta protect it,’ and that means we have to go 1-0 this weekend.”

While this will be Peterson’s first game at Hughes Stadium as a member of the CSU coaching staff, this won’t be his first time coaching a game in Fort Collins. In fact, he has a record of 1-0 at Hughes Stadium in his lifetime.

“I was giving coach [Pat] Meyer (who played for CSU in the early 1990’s) a bad time, in 1992. I was coaching at Idaho and we played CSU here and came in and beat the Rams,” he said.

Whether Peterson stays undefeated at Hughes Stadium won’t be determined until the final whistle blows on Saturday. CSU is making sure to not look past Sacramento State just because they are a Football Championship Subdivision school – Mountain West Conference foe San Diego State appeared to do that last week as they lost their home opener to Cal-Poly.

Football beat reporter Matt Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Authors: Matt L. Stephens