Beer and bikes are back

Authors: kelly bleck

Parades, costumes, beer and bikes return once again Sept. 6 for the ninth annual Tour de Fat in Fort Collins.

Benefiting local charities and providing tasty refreshments, New Belgium Brewing brings together the community for a day of biking and merriment, stopping at 11 cities across the country.

Tour de Fat aims to educate the community on the advantages of maintaining the environment by using an eco-friendly alternative to driving; the trusty bicycle.

The morning will start with a bike parade at 10 a.m., with registration kicking off at 9 a.m. The parade will travel from The Mothership, around Old Town and end at New Belgium for the start of the activities.

Bands such as Paper Bird and March Fourth Marching Band will perform on a solar powered stage, aiming to reduce waste and encourage a green day. Nanda, an acrobatics group will also perform. Costumes and decorations are encouraged, and a donation is appreciated with participation in the parade. The day will continue with bands and beer. Attendance is free but the money from merchandise and beer purchases will be donated to Diamond Peaks Mountain Bike Patrol and Bike Fort Collins.

A tent will be set up for attendants to register for Team Wonderbike, a group that pledges to commute by bike whenever they can.

Competitions and entertainment will be going on throughout the day. The afternoon will end with the second annual Car-for-Bike trade, where a selected person will hand over their keys, title and car for a Black Sheep commuter bike, complete with a Cycletote trailer.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.