Authors: kelly bleck

A psychologist’s true account of parapsychology, Many Lives, Many Masters addresses life after death, other lifetimes and the unconscious connections between people.

Brian Weiss, who holds an M.D. in psychology, assists people with their anxiety through hypnosis and occasional medicinal treatments.

Many Lives, Many Masters addresses Weiss’s explorations into parapsychology, expanding beyond standard treatments.

Weiss emphasizes from the start of the book that he is merely recording these events because they were so unexpected to him.

By stressing this point, he adds credibility to his argument because he is not writing to persuade, but rather to educate.

With the treatment of “Catherine,” a patient who wished to remain anonymous, Weiss discoveres new realms of the unconscious.

Catherine begins to recall past-life experiences when Weiss first hypnotizes her, an astonishing and previously non-researched event.

Again, adding credibility, Weiss discusses other psychologists and scientists who are researching these events.

Weiss chose hypnosis due to Catherine’s symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks and phobias.

He had previously found that small events in a persons childhood could cause adult symptoms, but Catherine instead remembers past-life experiences.

The book questions many views centered on religion and beliefs about life after death. Weiss addresses “Masters,” old souls who guide others through their multiple lifetimes, along with groups of souls who continuously travel together.

By addressing these issues, he makes readers compare their lives and beliefs to what he is discovering. The book tries readers, making them argue with both themselves and current investigations into the paranormal.

Weiss’s explanation for the intense compatibility some feel when they have just met someone is explained by discovering souls who move through lives together.

This explanation is persuasive enough to believe such an unconscious connection is possible.

Souls are meant to move on to another lifetime after a lesson is learned, which is extremely controversial.

Weiss utilizes science and research to support the after-life, proclaiming and sufficiently supporting that no true heaven exists in parapsychologic investigations. Instead it ís believed individuals experience different planes.

These planes offer different resting places for the traveling soul. When a soul completes its lesson, it travels to a certain plane to dwell upon that lesson and retain it. Weiss’s explanations of these planes brinks on the fictional, picking at his credibility towards the end of his story.

The farther a soul travels and the more planes it reaches, the “older” the soul gets.

Weiss believes this decides the age of the soul, old or new, and he proves this through the discussions he has with the “Masters.”

The “Masters” who Weiss banks so much of his information on through their communication with him, seem slightly fictional.

These lessons and figures resemble a figment of the imagination. Aspects seem far-fetched, but Weiss sufficiently convinces readers that, even if they do not believe in the events, that the situations described throughout the book happened to him.

In a well-written book, with many examples and convincing support, Weiss answers questions about life that others are too intimidated to breach.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.