Authors: Brian Lancaster

The Rocky Mountain Showdown was a couple days ago — and might already be old news — but there are some things that need to be said in response to it being our first game of the year.

First of all, to all Ram fans: I didn’t get to see everything that happened in the stadium, and I’m sure my view is biased, but thank you for cheering on your team in a mature and responsible fashion.

I am in the marching band, and as we were setting up to go on the field for our pregame show, we saw three people get escorted out of the stadium by police. One of those fans was decked out in CU gear.

So, thank you, CSU students, for not being “that guy that got kicked out of the game before it even started.”

Next, there was a lot of talent on our team that I had not yet taken note of that I would like to acknowledge, because I never had the opportunity to see this player on the field.

Punter Anthony Hartz — you are extremely fun to watch during the pre-game warm-up. It’s not because you’re entertaining in any way, you are simply the proud owner of, from what we could see, one hell of a booting leg.

My friends in the band and I were amazed at the distance and hang-time you got with your practice punts, and, while we hope that you’re woefully underutilized this season, it’s still great to see such talent on the special teams.

And while I’m congratulating players, let’s not forget Gartrell “the Predator” Johnson. Gartrell, you don’t know me, but it is absolutely fan-freaking-tastic to see how you’ve become better over the years. You just keep doing your thing, and for the love of God, keep finding those holes in the line.

Also, to Coach Fairchild: I have been at every CSU home game (and nearby game) since 2005, and it was refreshing when I saw the offense break the huddle and set up in a formation that I hadn’t seen before.

Now, I’m no sports expert, so I may not have been very observant, but it was a great feeling to see a new approach from the football team that I’ve grown to love over four years.

In a lot of people’s minds, change is not a good thing.

But I think that in this case, change is refreshing.

We don’t know what to expect from you, Coach Fairchild, but as Colorado State fans, we will cheer you to the ends of the Earth.

And finally, to the CSU marching band, I have a couple of words to say.

Thank you for being such a classy organization. We always seem to lead the crowd in team spirit, which is our job, I suppose, but it’s still really nice to see such enthusiasm coming from our seating area.

And to all the fans that I didn’t get to high five on the way into or out of the stadium: I’m sorry. Maybe next time.

I guess what I really want to say is that, even though CU is our biggest rival, and the Rocky Mountain Showdown is the biggest game of the year for us, it was great to see the Colorado State fans acting with what can only be described as class and spirit. It’s going to be a great year, and I personally cannot wait for the next game.

Brian Lancaster is a senior English major. His column appears Wednesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.