Authors: Trevor Simonton

With the first week of school out of the way, students may have already noticed a few changes with some of their favorite on-campus eateries.

The changes come as an effort to battle the new Academic Village food court for students’ lunch money, according to several store managers.

The most visible change is arguably the $5,000 renovation to the Bagel Place and Bagel Place 2. The bright white glow of the new hi-definition television menus is hard to miss.

Also new to campus is the “café” in Sweet Sinsations Café, formerly Sweet Sinsations.

A brown hardwood floor and grey door come with the new feel, where once were laid tiles in the traditional monochromatic teal.

The reworking of each shop was undeniably expensive, but the costs were covered by the stores, not the students.

Students’ tuitions and fees did not have to pay for any of the transformations, but daily coffee and bagel allowances might be affected – store managers at the respective locations, however, did not note any current increase in prices.

Amy Johnson, student-manager of Sweet Sinsations, said that they closed shop at the end of the spring semester, knocked out the east wall and put in a new door.

They reopened just in time for fall semester to start.

She said the new layout is “a lot more streamlined” and more efficient for customer-traffic flow, though no additional space was created for the store.

When asked how she felt about the new look, daily-coffee-drinker and art/English student Tiffanie Collins said she thinks the new Sweet Sinsations “looks spectacular.”

Allegro Marketing created the new logo and colors.

Regarding the Bagel Place, Kenneth DeVault, general manager, said, “We just want to keep it fresh.”

Changes to the Bagel Place included a new logo and the new burnt orange and navy blue color scheme.

DeVault said that a committee was put together by Bagel Place higher-ups who decided on the new look.

Student-managers and Lory Student Center marketing interns had the opportunity to contribute.

Liz Schmidt, now an alumna, is still working an internship in the tucked-away office of marketing in the LSC.

She designed the new logo.

But the handy-man and general manager DeVault was the one holding the paintbrush over the summer.

“I did the painting, but if you see any bad spots on the wall, don’t come looking for me,” he said.

Senior Reporter Trevor Simonton can be reached at news@collegian.com.