Authors: Kayla Huddleston

The Rams lost the Rocky Mountain Showdown Sunday, but politics proved to be a victorious field for CSU when the university’s student government registered 332 voters outside of Invesco Stadium, compared to CU’s 247.

“Four hours registering 332 voters is pretty damn good,” said Taylor Smoot, president of the Associated Students of CSU. And that wasn’t the only thing that kept CSU from total annihilation at the Showdown.

During the first quarter of the game, Qdoba Mexican Grill sponsored the Whack-A-Mole competition between CSU and CU in an effort to raise money for scholarships for each school. Money is to be allocated to specific scholarships at a later date.

In this challenge, selected students took the field in paper cylinders to attempt to catch a flying ball and fall into their tube. The first school with all its participants in their tubes won. CSU triumphed and walked away with $3,000.

Donations collected at Qdoba locations also allowed for an additional $1,000 to be donated to both CSU and CU scholarship funds.

Fans also faced off in Qwest’s $10,000 Text Message Challenge.

The texting competition set out to prove which school had the best fans and the most school spirit, according to the sponsors.

Ram fans showed pride and commitment to the community by contributing more than 70,000 votes. A check was presented by Qwest’s President Chuck Ward to the Boys & Girls Club of Larimer County on behalf of CSU before the fourth quarter.

Additional checks were also presented to the Boulder County chapter for $3,000 and Denver County for $2,000.

Power and Lotto Ball costumes sported by fans took the field in the fourth quarter “final agility” competition. The students had to make their way through cones, past a block and back to the center of the field.

CSU had another victory and a Ram fan walked away with $100 worth of scratch tickets.

Staff writer Kayla Huddleston can be reached at news@collegian.com.