Authors: Jim Sojourner

Following a year of unprecedented recruitment, the Greek community looks to continue high recruitment levels, diverse community service projects and philanthropic fundraising and by maintaining outreach and a positive public image.

Recruitment will remain a primary focus of the Greek community this year, said Rachel Bell, the vice president of public relations for the Pan-Hellenic Council.

Last year’s level of leadership, involvement and community support is responsible for the changing image of Greek Life at CSU, said Sonja Jensen, director of Greek Life.

With the help of image building, the CSU Greek community is expected to continue to grow in 2008. The Sigma Nu fraternity will be returning to campus this fall, following the chapterís leave from CSU in 2000.

Jensen said, unlike in the past, Greek members are genuinely excited to get out and recruit the new class of students. The fall recruitment, “rush,” occurs Sept. 27 – Oct. 1.

“I’m really excited,” Bell said. “I hope turnout will be really successful and all the chapters will like their new members.”

Greeks already have made an impact on the incoming class of first-year students. The Greek community assisted with residence hall move-in the week prior to the start of fall classes.

Bell said many members are excited for Greek involvement in the annual Cans Around the Oval food drive beginning mid-September as well as the Homecoming festivities in October.

Greeks will also be putting on the third annual Locks of Love drive later this fall. In last year’s drive, more than 100 feet of hair was donated to minors with long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.

The intensive growth in the 2007-2008 school year boosted Greek Life events, volunteer activities and philanthropic donations, Jensen said.

Student involvement in fraternities increased by roughly 100 members, from 350 to 450. Sorority membership nearly doubled from 450 students to almost 900.

The opening of four new chapters last year contributed to growth. Triangle, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Kappa Sigma were new additions to the fraternity community, and Zeta Tao Alpha added a new chapter to the sorority community. This fall, there are 36 Greek organizations in all.

With record numbers, the Greek Week event last April raised $2,222.44 for the Larimer County Food Bank. Sigma Chi raised more than $8,000 for the Huntsman Cancer Research Center.

A private donor matched this amount to create a grand total of $16,000.

Over the summer, two years of work for Habitat for Humanity came to fruition when construction of a house for a low-income family was completed.

Jensen said the Greek community will continue to work to overcome stereotypes and make positive impacts on the CSU community. Thus far, she said, Greek Life is off to a good start.

“We’re happy with who we are and what we’re doing,” Jensen said.

Staff writer Jim Sojourner can be reached at news@collegian.com.