Authors: Johnny Hart

The CSU Police Department advised students commuting to campus to do so safely and legally, according to a letter addressed to the CSU community.

The Aug. 12 letter emphasised that, due to the large number of CSU students and faculty, it is paramount that all must take responsibility for keeping campus safe.

“It is essential that each person obeys the laws while riding a bicycle or driving a vehicle on campus,” the letter said.

CSUPD spokesperson Jackie Swaro said the letter was just a reminder to take precautionary measures because of the possiblilty of high congestion on campus.

“We’ll see a large amount of pedestrians and bicylists,” Swaro said.

Swaro said students should realize bikes are vehicles and bicyclists need to follow all the same laws as other vehicles.

“I would hope most (students) do follow the laws,” she said.

The CSUPD also encouraged alternative methods of transportation to help alleviate parking congestion.

“The CSU Police Department encourages the use of efficient ‘green’ methods of transportation such as walking, bicylcling or skateboarding,” said the CSUPD.

Rikky Walsh, poster salesman on the LSC Plaza, finds that most campus bikers obey bike traffic laws, he said.

“Most of the people I see are walking their bike,” Walsh said.

He said he felt that if someone was biking through the LSC Plaza during the day, it could be dangerous.

Talking about campus congestion, freshman anthropology major Sam McMillan said, “It’s crazy during the day.”

But McMillan does not always follow bike traffic laws while riding through campus, she said.

“If I think I can get away with it, I don’t always follow (bike laws),” she said.

Staff writer Johnny Hart can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Safety precautions on campus

Pedestrian Safety

Pedestrians have the right-of-way on all sidewalks and crosswalks.

Pedestrians should make themselves visible to motorists, bicyclists and skateboarders and use extra caution at intersections.

Pedestrians should walk on the right side of a pathway/sidewalk.

Bicycle/Skateboard Safety

Bicyclists are required to obey the same applicable traffic regulations as the driver of an automobile.

Bicyclists and skateboarders must dismount in designated dismount zones on the weekdays during the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., unless otherwise posted. In addition, bicyclists and skateboarders will dismount in any location where it is impractical to ride due to heavy pedestrian traffic.

Riders must give an audible signal when passing on the left to alert a pedestrian of an approaching bicycle or skateboard.

Bicyclists are to ride on the right side of a roadway/pathway with the flow of traffic.

Bicyclists must use lights and reflectors when riding at night. No bicycle or skateboard tricks are allowed on campus.

Motor Vehicle Safety

Motor vehicles must always give the right-of-way to pedestrians.

All motor vehicles must obey campus speed limits of 20 mph on roadways and 10 mph in all parking lots; speed limits are enforced.

When passing a bicyclist on the left, motor vehicles should leave a minimum distance of three feet between the bicyclist and the vehicle.

Driving a motor vehicle on sidewalks, pathways or service drives is prohibited except by turf carts or service vehicles on official University business.

All vehicles must park in the designated lots for the issued permit and/or pay-by-space parking spaces.

Source: CSUPD