‘Dawn’ far-fetched but

Authors: kelly bleck

Bella Swan uprooted her life and moved to Forks, Wash., planting herself unexpectedly in a centuries old-legend. Then, she fell in love with a vampire.

In the four-book series by Stephenie Meyer, the “Twilight” saga, Bella must deal with an unexpected love, her abnormal best friend and life-skewing decisions.

Book one, “Twilight,” begins the events that change her life completely. She finds out that Edward Cullen, the boy she loves, just happens to be a vampire. His family, unlike other vampires, is “vegetarian;” they happily feed only on animals.

Bella’s best friend, Jacob, quietly falls in love with Bella. Unexpectedly in the second book, “New Moon,” she finds out that he is also part of the legendary world; Jacob is a werewolf. Unknown to most, werewolves and vampires are enemies, which leaves Bella in the middle of a growing conflict between her lover and her closest friend.

Book number three, “Eclipse,” escalates the conflict further when Bella begs Edward to allow her to become a vampire in order to be with him for eternity. Jacob’s love for Bella means he is adamantly against this course of action. This conflict, between those who love Bella but also between those involved in the legendary world, leads to many head-to-head battles. With the release of the fourth book, “Breaking Dawn,” Meyers addresses Bella’s request to be transformed.

Starting before Bella’s wedding with Edward, the book addresses Bella’s one other request: a real honeymoon, complete with consummation and, as it seems, an inevitable catch.

This catch however, is incredibly far-fetched. Meyer seems to be searching for a way to sway the readers from the predictable ending that was initially set up.

Bella realizes she is pregnant, with a vampire-human cross child. The rest of the story addresses the dangerous child, how it harms Bella as she nurtures it and also how the world must deal with such a thing, so utterly unheard of.

Meyer tells of how Bella’s love overwhelms her sanity, empowering her to protect the child despite the danger it is putting her in. The child seems like an idea festered out of multiple myths and a need to provide a fourth book.

When Bella conceives the child, Meyer finally addresses the initial angle of the book. Bella is transformed into a vampire and now must deal with the new lifestyle as well as the vampire child.

This aspect of the book is, once again, far-fetched. Not as steeply as before, but the actions Bella takes, along with the unwanted attention the child brings on the Cullen family, seems like a forced conflict to keep readers enthralled.

Meyer takes her supernatural visions a bit too far as she fathoms and generates the cross child — reaching a slightly nauseating level toward the end of the novel, clearly aiming to simply please her readers.

“Breaking Dawn” unfortunately finishes with a happy ending; exactly what readers hope for, but adds some ridiculous aspects to try to disguise the inevitable.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.