Authors: Stephen Meyers

CSU students will have the opportunity to get up close and personal with the nationally ranked Rams volleyball team tonight at Moby Arena at the first annual “Ram Volleyball Sneak Peek 2008,” presented by KCSU. Students in attendance will meet head coach Tom Hilbert as well as meet and participate in games with the players.

The evening event begins at 5:30 p.m. and will involve various contests, including “best student spike” and returning a serve from one of the players. In addition, students can win prize packs from KCSU and CSU athletics.

“We wanted to get students involved with the team and really create that home-court advantage here at Moby, especially since this is supposed to be such a big year,” said Ben Chulik, sports marketing director.

Expectations are high this year for Ram volleyball as they were picked to win the Mountain West Conference along with a No. 17 national ranking in the first American Volleyball Coaches Association poll of the season.

Senior all-conference setter Ashley Fornstrom wants to show students that they are as good as advertised and thinks it is important to connect with the fans.

“I’m really excited about the event,” said Fornstrom, “the fan base is really important to our team, and we want to connect with the fans and show them that their support helps us play better at home, and we want to show them that we are a good team.”

Freshman Desarie Wheeler said she is a volleyball fan and plans on attending the event.

“I’m most excited about the opportunity to return a serve from one of the players,” said Wheeler.

Admission is free, and complimentary pizza will be provided.

Volleyball beat writer Stephen Meyers can be reached at sports@collegian.com.