Authors: Cece Wildeman

“Obama fever” is taking over college campuses, as Barack Obama uses his mobile campaign to target younger voters.

This aspect of Obama’s campaign allowed participants to receive a text message and/or e-mail as soon as Obama chose his vice presidential candidate.

In addition, participants receive campaign updates and advance notice about local Obama events and appearances, according to Obama’a campaign Web site.

According to the Rocky Mountain News, Obama named Senator Joe Biden as his vice presidential choice early Saturday.

The announcement was then posted on Obama’s campaign Web site and was sent out via text message to mobile campaign participants.

Mandi Asay, president of the CSU Young Democrats, said students know more about Obama because of e-mail and text alerts.

“It’s a lot easier than an old-fashioned campaign,” she said. “It’s new, but it’s cool that they are trying it out on such an important political year.”

Zoann Blacksten, a CSU alum, said she thinks it’s a weird idea and that campaigns should be done the old-fashioned way.

“I don’t think it’s very professional to send information that way regarding our presidential election,” she said. “It also hurts for lower class people who don’t all have cell phones.”

Spencer Davis, a freshman biological sciences major, said he doesn’t know how he feels about the mobile campaign, but he is not pro-Obama and doesn’t want to hear about Obama.

“It definitely raises awareness about politicians and who’s running though,” he said.

Blacksten said she thinks it’s a little sad how much our society depends on technology, but because of this, Obama’s mobile campaign will make a difference in getting young people involved.

Collin Czarnecki, a volunteer for the Obama campaign in Fort Collins, said he has seen a lot of younger people getting involved in the campaign.

“This is a good way to directly connect with students who aren’t directly involved in the campaign,” he said.

He said students, in general, are leery about politics but that Obama’s connections with young people show them that their voices can be heard.

Taylor Smoot, president of the Associated Students of Colorado State University, said that our society is living in a new media world, and that if candidates don’t conform their campaigns to this, they won’t get elected.

“We are demanding change, whether it’s Barack Obama or John McCain,” he said.

Bill Bertschy, adviser for the CSU Young Democrats, shares a similar view.

“This fits right into society today,” he said. “He (Obama) was reaching out, and this was the most effective way to reach people.”

Entertainment Editor Cece Wildeman can be reached at verve@collegian.com.