Authors: Elyse Jarvis

The CSU Police Department is treating former student Matt Quitmeyer’s death as a suicide after investigators found a rifle about 100 feet away from the body in the afternoon of July 26.

The discovery shifted the course of the investigation, which was originally treated as a homicide case after Quitmeyer’s body was found in the Summit Hall parking lot July 25.

New information found inside his home indicates a suicide, and Quitmeyer had a history of severe chronic pain from headaches.

Quitmeyer’s alleged suicide came on the heels of a rash of deaths in the campus community. In the two weeks before the incident, two CSU community members died in accidents and another died later in the Poudre Valley Hospital from injuries after a lightning strike.

Doctoral psychology student William Szlemco and Marc Vernon Richard struck by lightning on July 24 in Sherwood Forest, a wooded area on campus near the Natural Resources building.

Szlemco was killed instantly. A memorial service was held July 29.

Richard was hospitalized for his injuries and kept in intensive care.

He was pronounced dead July 30 at Fort Collins’ Poudre Valley Hospital. His memorial took place Aug. 2 at the Lory Student Center.

Rebecca Allen, an advisor in the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, was first of the four to pass away after being hit by a motorist while riding her bike on July 22.

Assistant News Editor Elyse Jarvis can be reached at news@collegian.com.