Jul 082008

Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

Despite record-breaking losing streaks by our football and basketball teams, a handful of new coaches and many broken-hearted fans, CSU sports teams have recently given us a reason to chant, “I’m proud to be a CSU Ram.”

Last month, 70 CSU student-athletes were recognized by the Mountain West Conference for achievements in academics. Those named to the prestigious list came from nine of CSU’s sports teams including: men’s and women’s track, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s golf, women’s tennis, softball and women’s swimming and diving teams, with the majority of the awards going to the track teams.

In order to be acknowledged, a student-athlete must have completed at least one academic term at CSU and be a significant contributor or starter on his/her team while maintaining a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

Not only did 70 of our athletes make the cut, but also 47 student-athletes from 15 of CSU’s 16 varsity programs earned MWC Scholar-Athlete Awards, the highest academic honor bestowed by the conference. These athletes participated in varsity competition for an NCAA sport, completed at least two academic terms at CSU and maintained a 3.5 cumulative GPA.

In addition, April Thomas, the now-graduated runner who won the MWC individual cross-country race, was honored as the MWC female Student-Athlete of the Year.

These honors shed some much needed positive light on an athletics program that has gone through a tumultuous year.

Although fans suffered a series of tremendous letdowns, we can only hope to turn a new leaf and bring back to our campus the love we had for our teams that caused us to paint our chests green and jangle our keys. Needless to say, we’re proud of you, student-athletes, for raising the bar higher for your fellow Rams. Now, if we can translate a win in the classroom to points on the board, we’ll be golden.