Jun 172008

Authors: Aaron Hedge

A Monday report in a Denver newspaper that said KCSU’s operating license, which is owned by the CSU governing board, would transfer to Student Media, which is undergoing a severance with the university, was false, the overseer of the severance said Tuesday.

Westword, the alternative news weekly publication that printed the report, cited the Colorado Public Radio blog as the source of the faulty information.

The blog included an announcement from the CSU System Board of Governors that they would relinquish control of content to the student-run radio station, but still hold the license.

Larry Steward, the incoming director of the non-profit, said the station operates under a time brokerage agreement with the university, and that agreement would not change after the severance.

“I don’t think that’s the case at all,” Steward said of the report. “The university will continue to own the license.”

The tentatively named Rocky Mountain Student Media Corporation, which will replace Student Media, will be independent from CSU, but the university will still own the radio station license.

The only difference under the proposed change would be that the RMSMC would run the operation. Under the new model, the BOG would still have the ability to halt broadcast by relinquishing the agreement, Steward said.

Colorado Public Radio did not return a phone message from the Collegian.

News Managing Editor Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.com.