Authors: Matthew Pucak

It is rare to earn accolades on a 7-25 team, but it shows just how special of a talent Marcus Walker is that he earns the 2007-08 Moby award for best male athlete.

Walker, a junior guard for the CSU men’s basketball team, was the Mountain West Conference Newcomer of the Year and second-team all-conference selection, after scoring 17.1 points per game.

While Walker’s scoring prowess was important, coach Tim Miles said his impact off the court was impressive as well.

“I thought that more important than stats for Marcus was his great attitude and leadership. He did a great job of enduring through a difficult season and being a beacon of hope by playing his butt off all season for us,” Miles said.

A transfer from Indian Hills Community College, Walker, who played point guard for much of his college career, shifted over to shooting guard for the youthful Rams and provided plenty of excitement.

In just the third game of his CSU career, Walker exploded for 43 points against Tennessee State, the third-most points ever scored in one game by a CSU player.

It set the tone for the rest of the season, where Walker notched double-figures in scoring 25 times on the season, including 23 of the last 26 games.

Despite the great season, Miles doesn’t think Walker has reached his full potential.

“I expect more out of him next year, better defense and continued production on the offensive end,” said Miles. “Players like Marcus make my job easier.”

Sports writer Matt Pucak can be reached at sports@collegian.com.