Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU softball team finished the 2008 season the way they started: on a winning note.

After splitting a doubleheader with BYU Thursday, the Rams (29-22, 9-11) swept the Utah Utes in a two-game series by winning 7-5 Friday and 7-1 Saturday.

Saturday’s season finale saw CSU’s three seniors contribute significantly in their final game.

Senior pitcher Cayte Billman earned her 10th and 11th victories of the season, going 4.2 innings and allowing four runs on five hits in game one and tossing a complete game three hitter in the second. Billman finished the season 11-6 from the circle with a 3.40 ERA and two saves.

The team’s other two seniors, first baseman Juila Kloppe and Lauren Cusick, ended their careers on high notes as well. Kloppe, a Fort Collins native, saw her eighth homerun of the season leave Ram Field in Saturday’s game. She finished the season with the team’s third highest batting average at .344, in addition to her .584 slugging percentage.

Cusick, who has been hammering home her campaign for Mountain West player of the year with each at bat she takes, added to her cause on Friday with a grand slam in the second inning.

The dinger was her 20th of the season, the most in the league. She finished the season with the second highest batting average in the MWC (.393), the highest slugging percentage (.863), the most runs scored (61), and the second most RBIs (42).

The Rams finished the season fourth in conference, behind San Diego State (43-15, 15-5 MWC), Brigham Young (42-18, 14-6) and Utah (28-27, 10-10).