Authors: Matt L. Stephens

The Moby award for best male team of the year goes the hardworking gentlemen of Men’s golf.

Head Coach Jamie Bermel has taken the Rams from a No. 4 seed in the 2008 Mountain West Conference Tournament to overcoming an eight stroke deficit in the final round to capture CSU’s first ever MWC golf championship. The sophomore trio of Riley Arp, Dustin Morris and Bryce Hanstad led the late surge for CSU finishing second, fifth, and 10th, respectively.

“No one ever feared that ‘this is my last nine holes, this is my last round of the year.’ I don’t think any of us were giving up or thinking that,” Hanstad said when asked about what propelled the Rams past UNLV in the final day of action. “We took it one hole at a time and tried to shoot the lowest score we could, obviously, and didn’t worry about what the other teams were doing. We just focused on our game, and I think that’s what made the difference.”

The first place finish at the MWC Championships in Tucson, Ariz., advanced the Rams to the NCAA East Regional in Chattanooga, Tenn., as the No. 24 team and ranked 82nd in the latest Golf Week poll.

“I’m excited, it’s a nice golf course and obviously a lot of great teams, but I think if we can stick to our game we should be able to turn some heads and hopefully earn that berth into the NCAA’s,” Hanstad said.

The CSU men’s golf team joins men’s cross country as the only two male teams on campus to continue their competition into the postseason.

Sportswriter Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.