Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

In his first five months as head coach, Steve Fairchild has made many efforts to get the Fort Collins community back at the heart of the CSU football. Although he has a long way to go, it appears his efforts are beginning to finally pay off.

The north stands in Moby Arena were filled as 350 students and residents gathered to watch the team compete in the first ever Rams Superstar Competition Friday night.

In the contest, the offense took on the defense in American-Gladiator style tasks such as relay’s, weight lifting and dunk contests. The Ram’s defense came from behind to capture a 17-14 victory, wining in the last event of the night.

Defensive tackle Matt Rupp defeated offensive lineman Adrian Martinez in the final round of the dunk contest, throwing down two power slams to secure the victory. Fairchild was surprised by the event’s turnout.

“It was good and we had fun,” he said. “It is the first event that we have had like this and I think the fans enjoyed it. Hopefully it will get bigger and bigger every year.”

Ricky Brewer, a linebacker, said just how much the support of the fans means to him, explaining that it is critical to the success of the team.

“We really appreciate the fan support, and that’s our main goal right now,” the sophomore said. “When support is at its best, Rams football is at its best. We can always use more, but we are thankful for what we have.”

Jason Bradley, a Ram fan for the past 15 years, said he can already see a big difference in how the players act in the community and attributes the change to Fairchild’s leadership.

“The whole attitude of the team is completely changed and that is going to make a world of difference,” the Fort Collins resident said. “They are going to come out and expect to win these years. It is the same players, just with a different attitude and method.”

Fairchild has put together many events throughout the spring to try and unite the team with their fan base, including the Spring Practice and a lunch with CSU students. He explained that everyone benefits from the interaction.

“The more our players can interact with the students and the community, the better it is for everyone,” the former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator said. “You could see that the players were enthusiastic about this type of thing, and that is what we are trying to get done here.”

Up next for the Rams is their summer work out regiment starting at the conclusion of the spring semester.

Football beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.