Authors: Jacob Whitsitt

For the first time in over a decade, six of the seven members of the Fort Collins City Council are slated to appear on campus tonight to discuss city policy that affects students.

The meeting, coordinated by student government, will take place in the east ballroom of the LSC from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. While individual City Council members have been to CSU, it is rare for this many to be on campus at any one time, said Katie Freudenthal, the director of community relations for the Associated Students of CSU.

Freudenthal said the meeting is structured in a way that allows students close personal contact with the council members.

“The event is important because often times, students don’t feel like they’re a part of the Fort Collins Community,” Freudenthal said. “This is a good opportunity to feel like a true resident and really get your voice heard.”

Freudenthal also stressed the importance of discussing all the issues rather than just focusing on an effort to establish a working relationship with both the council and the Fort Collins community.

“It’s important for students to go with an open mind and really try to understand the community’s perspective,” Freudenthal said.

Freudenthal said she hopes the meeting will put CSU and student concerns on the council radar screen.

“It’s our goal to have this become an annual event,” Freudenthal said. “We need to have a good showing so the council will want to come back and hear from students.”

Freudenthal emphasized that the council members want to hear from students, especially because of the huge importance of the university to the community.

Staff writer Jacob Whitsitt can be reached at news@collegian.com.