Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU track and field team wrapped up its regular season over the weekend with a strong showing at Saturday’s inaugural Front Range Invite in Laramie, Wyo., the team’s final meet before next weekend’s conference championships.

Behind Niomi Ridge’s school record-tying performance in the high jump, the women’s team won Saturday’s team title, finishing 17 points ahead of Wyoming. Ridge’s leap of five feet, 10.75 inches matched Liz Toman’s school record set in 2000 and set a regional qualifying mark.

Three other athletes, Ryan Friese, 800 meters; Marissa Saunders, 800 meters; and Jake Keyser, 3,000-meter steeplechase, also earned qualifying marks.

“It was nice to see the athletes peaking at the right time,” CSU coach Brian Bedard said in a statement released by the university. “It’s a good momentum builder. We’re really happy with the meet.”

The men’s team finished second, 54 points short of Air Force, behind Alex Godell’s season-best performance in the hammer throw and Jason Schutz’s victory in the discus.

Friday senior sprinter Drew Morano led a small group of Rams who traveled to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete in the Arkansas Twilight meet. Morano broke his own school record in the 400 meters with a time of 45.65, while Janay DeLoach won the long jump and Tanesha Johnson finished second in the triple jump.

The Rams will now turn their attention to the conference championships May 15-17 in Dallas, Texas.