Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU student government is set to hear the first-ever appeal of its recent presidential election today — a petition that if upheld, could prompt a second election as campus prepares for finals.

The Associated Students of CSU Supreme Court will review the appeal and counter appeals in the East Atrium of the Lory Student Center at 4 p.m., said Cari Stepsay, chief justice.

In his appeal, Estevan Jaimes, assistant director of diversity and outreach for ASCSU and a former presidential contender, challenges the validity of the recent election, charging that the race was “nasty,” “dramatic” and unfair to challengers who ultimately lost.

Jaimes and his co-petitioners accuse the ASCSU Elections Committee of “blatant negligence and disregard (for the constitution)” and Elections Code in handling the campaign finance report for Taylor Smoot, president-elect, and Girrens, vice president-elect.

Elections Manager Emily Laue denies the accusations, maintaining that the Elections Committee “did everything by the book” when assessing Smoot’s campaign expenditures.

Jaimes’ appeal, met with two counter appeals by current ASCSU members, threatens to unseat Smoot and Quinn Girrens, vice president-elect.

Smoot and Girrens filed one of the counter appeals and say their campaign didn’t break any campaign finance policies.

Today’s hearing is open to the public, Stepsay said.