Thursday night, women and men marched through the streets of Fort Collins in an effort to raise awareness for a cause that affects us all.

“Take Back the Night”, an annual event hosted by the Feminist Alliance, protested sexual assault by encouraging people to gather after dark, a time of day generally considered dangerous for women.

The sea of black and white t-shirts served as a reminder that gender and equality issues did not end in the 60s.

According to the National Victims Center, one in four college women will be sexually assaulted. Much of this goes unreported.

And CSU is no exception. For many women, sexual assault is something they deal with on a daily basis. Whether at home, school or work women are often in a constant struggle against daily discrimination.

If you’re being harassed in any way, speak up. Putting a voice to the problem is the only way to send the message that we as women and allies of women will no longer tolerate sexual abuse.

“Take Back the Night” should be a reminder to women and men alike that this fight isn’t over. This activism should be carried throughout each day, in all we do. We applaud their courage and conviction, and agree that until everyone can feel safe to walk alone at night, their work isn’t done.