Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Riding a three match winning streak — their longest of the season – the CSU tennis team kicks off the Mountain West Conference Championship action in Fort Worth, Texas, today against the 54th ranked Lady Rebels of Nevada-Las Vegas. CSU is 1-2 all time against UNLV in conference championship action, with the Rams’ last win coming in 2001.

CSU (9-10, 2-6), seeded seventh in this year’s championships, was swept 7-0 the last time it faced second-seeded UNLV (14-8, 6-2) April 12 in San Diego, Calif. Though they were shutout, the Rams managed to take the Rebels to three sets in the Nos. 2 and 6 singles.

Rams senior Hilary Tyler was forced to retire early during the match due to a wrist injury.

But Tyler is back to full form now, as she has won three consecutive matches at the No. 1 singles spot. Also playing some of their best tennis of the season for the Rams is sophomore Laura Neal in singles play and her teammate, Finish sophomore Anette Pohjalainen, in doubles play. The pair has won four consecutive matches at the No. 2 doubles spot.

CSU takes the court at 9 a.m. The winner of today’s match will face the winner of third-seeded New Mexico and sixth-seeded San Diego State on Friday morning.

The Rams lost 6-1 and 7-0 to UNM and SDSU earlier this season, respectively.

The championship tournament got under way Wednesday morning when eighth-seeded Wyoming defeated ninth-seeded Air Force 4-1.