Authors: Sean Reed

Danny Christopher, a sophomore journalism major, sat down with the Collegian and explained why he thinks Smoot’s proposal is a good idea.

Q: Do you approve of Taylor Smoot’s student fee proposal?

A: I do. I think getting a concert would get people more involved and make people more happy with the campus and make people more proud to go to CSU. That’s a good thing and for nine bucks a year — I don’t think that’s a terribly big thing for a concert, additional bike racks, stuff like that.

Q: Is there anyone in particular you would like to see come to CSU?

A: You know, something a little less expensive than the Common concert, but someone good’s gonna be hard to get for that price. I know Yellowcard came. Get the Foo Fighters here.

Q: What kinds of things would you like to see Taylor Smoot push during his presidency?

A: I think the textbook [program] has recently gone in a good direction. I would deal with parking — it’s a mess right now. Other than that I can’t think of a whole lot.

Q: Do you think your fellow students will support Smoot’s proposal?

A: I know a lot of my friends voted for him. I did. So I don’t think for most of my friends nine bucks a year is a big deal.

Taylor Smoot, Associated Students of CSU president elect, recently pitched a student fee increase proposal of about $120,000 primarily geared toward bringing a homecoming concert and the satirical newspaper The Onion to our campus, among other things.

Christ Tarver, a senior liberal arts major, took some time out of his Friday to explain why, even though he is graduating this semester, he feels Smoot’s increase is not a good idea for the CSU campus.

A: No. It seems his priorities are in the wrong place as far as why he wants the money . It would be good if he wanted most of the money for [Walk for Cheaper Textbooks], but for concerts and some of the other stuff he’s talking about, I think it’s a little much to be asking for.

Q: Is there anything for which you would be willing to accept a student fee increase?

A: I don’t know. I haven’t really thought about it . I’m graduating in May. Probably mostly just the textbook program.

Q: Do you think it is valuable to bring things like concerts and The Onion to campus?

A: Yeah, but I don’t think it should be within reason as far as how much we spend for something like Homecoming.

Authors: Sean Reed