Authors: Anica Wong

After a day of winds gusting to 30 miles per hour and cold temperatures, CSU’s women’s golf team found itself tied for fifth place at the Mountain West Conference Championship in Albuquerque, N.M., on Thursday.

“The conditions were tough,” Rams coach Angie Hopkins said.

The team will continue play today and will finish off the three-day tournament on Saturday. After one day of play, New Mexico is leading the six other teams, while CSU shot 32-over-par and ended with a team score of 324.

Sophomore Natalie Stone lead the CSU team, finishing only 3-over par and with a score of 76; she tied for sixth. Stone started the day with a double bogey and then came back with four birdies. Kasey Claussen shot 7-over to finish the day tied for 18th with a score of 80.

Stefanie Ferguson, who has led the team in stoke average, is still battling a sprained ankle and had a rough first day, as she had long walks between each hole on the extra hilly course. After one round, she is currently tied for 26th.

“I would be shocked if she continues to play,” Hopkins said, adding that Ferguson will be evaluated each day to see if she can continue to play.

The weather was a factor of the team’s play, as well as the fact that only one golfer has played on the course previously. Hopkins also pointed out that her team is still very young and two of the golfers haven’t ever been to a championship this size.

“It is a new experience for two of them,” she said. “It is the conference championship and a lot is riding on it.”

For the next two days, the Rams will be focusing on putting together the best four scores and playing solid golf.

“We will look for Kayley (Kempton), Cece (Edlund) and Kasey (Claussen) to step up,” Hopkins said. “They are definitely ready to play some better golf.”

CSU has an 8:30 tee-time this morning and will be paired with San Diego State.

Sports writer Anica Wong can be reached at news@collegian.com.