Authors: Matt L. Stephens

The CSU softball team got in, out and on with life Wednesday afternoon after defeating Northern Colorado for the third time this season, 11-3 in five innings.

While the hour, 43-minute game whipped by for CSU (21-16), it was seamingly long-lasting for the Bears, (7-31) who committed six errors on the day-four coming in the fifth inning, allowing CSU end the game on a run-rule.

The game was originally scheduled for last Wednesday, but it was postponed because of poor weather.

UNC went through three pitchers and gave up three home runs. And if that wasn’t enough for the visiting in-state rival, the majority of the game was played in the midst of moderate snowfall.

Despite the irritable weather conditions, the win was one the Rams needed desperately to get back in sync both offensively and defensively after a five-game losing streak.

“We wanted to use this game as a momentum builder and get our players a little sharper and I think we did everything we wanted to do today,” CSU coach Mary Yori said.

“It was really great to see the bats come back. Kim (Klabough) pitched a great game, good to see her getting back on the mound and everybody hitting the ball; good production up and down the lineup including Robyn Mask and kids at the bottom of the order.”

Coming into Wednesday afternoon’s contest, CSU ace pitcher Kim Klabough (7-8) had lost six of her previous eight decisions, but from her first pitch to UNC’s Jessie Schoepflin to her final, a strikeout of Heather Buckley, it appeared Klabough is headed back toward her stellar form.

“The run support helped me a lot,” Klabough said, “the snow started to stop so that helped too . I can say, being from Arizona, that I had never played in conditions like this.”

Klabough finished the game with six strikeouts and allowed no earned runs.

On the opposite side of the plate, CSU batted .375 as a team and all but one batter reached base.

Allison Majam, Rebecca Penland and Eranne Daugharthy hit their sixth, third and first home runs of the season, respectively. Penland and Daugharthy did their damage on back-to-back solo home runs to begin the bottom of the third inning.

“It felt great; I hadn’t had one of those yet,” Daugharthy, a freshman, said. “Especially going back-to-back, it’s really fun when you can do that.

“I had never played in the snow and I thought we all did a really good job working through it and got a lot of runs so we could get out of there [early].”

The Rams continue play at Ram Field with a double-header 1:30 p.m. Friday against Mountain West foe UNLV.

Wednesday, April 16, Ram Field

Score by Innings R H E

————————————–

Northern Colorado… 012 00 – 3 4 6

Colorado State…… 233 03 – 11 9 2

Win – Klabough, K. (7-8). Loss – Henderson, K (1-8). Save – None.

HR- CSU: Majam, A.; Penland, R.; Daugharthy, E.

RBI- CSU: Stem, C. (2); Majam, A. (3); Munoz, A.; Penland, R. (3); Daugharthy, E.; Mask, R.